Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Feel the Wind ?

READ THE PREQUEL :  Feel the Heat ? 
One of the things I love doing is to get on my bike (my bro's bike to be precise) and go on a really long drive. My favourite route being the ride to college which is located on the outskirts where the roads are clear and the landscape, scenic. The highway gives you a license to turn the throttle higher and reach faster speeds consistently. Another thrilling experience is to feel the wind blowing through your helmet (safety first), clothes until you feel like your gliding through air.




On one such ride through the city, I felt a nagging itch on my nose. After trying to ignore it for a few seconds, I finally took my hand off the accelerator and reached up to deal with the inconvenience. I realized that moment that it wasn't as easy as just itching my nose, cause when I lifted my hand, the air kept blowing it away from what I wanted to do. The whole incident happened more than an year back but a realization struck me that time on the bike...


This came back to me last week as I put my head out of the window of my flat. 'Cyclone Laila'  had hit the coastal regions of Andhra Pradesh (India) and Hyderabad was experiencing a few aftereffects of it. As I kept looking out, I experienced the power of wind like I had never experienced before. It was so powerful that I decided to take my spectacles off as the wind just blew everything around me. Power lines got cut down as trees came crashing down over them. I could see large pieces of plastic sheets flying off the top of buildings. The roar of the wind as it rushed in between and over the apartments in my neighbourhood was even more chilling. The wind that blew that evening was capable of blowing away anything that came its way.


After Jesus, ascended to heaven, the disciples gathered together in the upper-room to wait on the Holy Spirit. "Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them." (Acts 2 :2 - 4). Just imagine how it must have been to be a witness to something like that. The ever so gentle Holy Spirit came as a "violent" wind and completely shook up the lives of those disciples. The same ones who had a flourishing "Fishing Establishment" on the Sea of Galilee, casting their nets to catch fish, were now transformed to establish a world wide ministry, and truly become "Fishers of men" as Jesus called them out to be.


Shy and timid 'nobodies' were transformed into bold and fearless missionaries and evangelists who traveled the length and breadth of this earth to preach the gospel, heal the sick and cast out demons in His Name. With the Holy Spirit they were now able to fulfill what God had called them out to do.


Wind is so powerful that it could blow my hand away from what I wanted it to do. When it intensifies, it can blow away and direct anything that comes on it's path. If we raise our hands up to heaven and ask the Spirit to blow over our lives, will we ever be the same again ? Won't He blow out everything that displeases Him from our lives and transform us from the inside out ? Won't this Wind give us the boldness and the ability to be the shining light to a dark generation ? Won't this wind direct everything in our life for His glory ?


The day of Pentecost was celebrated only a few days back. Can I encourage you to put everything aside for a few moments, kneel down and worship God and ask the Holy Spirit to blow over your life in a very special way. Won't you just ask Him to blow away everything that is not right in your life, and direct you into what God has called you out to become. My prayer is that the Holy Spirit will become more real to you this Pentecost season as you allow Him to work in and through you.









Holy Spirit, thou art welcome in this place
Holy Spirit, thou art welcome in this place
Omnipotent Father of mercy and grace
Thou art welcome in this place

3 comments:

  1. i love it amit :) simply superb... it encouraged me soo soo sooo much ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!...this one's really nice amit :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey please take some time to post in your valuable views. I greatly appreciate your effort, Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...