Friday, September 18, 2009

Perched on My Window

Up until now, I've mostly resided in apartments. We moved into this flat in the year 2002 and for the first time, I didn't have to share a room with my elder brother as I got my very own independent space now. You'll find everything from my beloved computer, precious guitar, books, papers, clothes, very little mess, etc...
The main feature of my room is that it has a large window facing the sunset, just above my bed. Every morning, I'm greeted to sounds of birds singing, roosters crowing and also the disgusting noise of a person clearing his throat and brushing his teeth in the balcony of the adjacent apartment. Other than this unpleasantness, mornings are refreshing.
As I go through my day, I'm often visited by birds at my window. Most of the ones that come are the beautiful sparrows. I generally have music playing in my room so I guess that might also be a reason for birds to come and perch outside. The very first time one of these sparrows came, I was intrigued by it and used to keep watching it in absolute stillness. Slowly but surely, the sparrow would be accompanied by one or two more of its companions and they chirp away to each other. I enjoyed these moments, and each time they came I would become still, making no sudden moments so that they wouldn't fly away.
One afternoon as I walked into my room, I noticed a small twig on the window grill. Realizing that the birds now considered my window safe for residence, I chose to observe it for a few days. More twigs and other 'nest - building' material was soon found and my window now looked a mess with the feathers, twigs and sparrow poop. I thought to myself that if I dint disrupt their construction plans, they would soon build a nest and would lay their eggs. Once the nestlings were born, I would never be able to move the nest away from my window. So I soon cleared up all the twigs, feathers and washed away all the poop.
The sparrows came back and they found no twigs.
The very next afternoon I found more twigs. I then threw them away that evening and cleaned the window again only to find more poop and more twigs the next afternoon. The sparrows were determined to build a nest and I was determined to keep my window clean. And there I sat on my bed, beside the window, waiting for the sparrows to arrive. As soon as they perched I started shooing them away. Within a few hours they would return, only to be greeted to some very vociferous clapping and shooing. This went on for a few days. Each time I heard them at my window, I would run into my room to shoo them away.
Finally they left. I missed them at my window but I had to shoo them away... firstly to keep my window clean and secondly to prevent any eggs from being laid.

Our minds are like the window in my room. They are open for any birds (thoughts) to come and perch on them. It's essential that we learn to examine our thoughts. As we go through life, we are prone to see and hear many things. All of them affect our thought process. Negative thoughts like fear, self pity, anger, hatred, jealousy, lust, rejection, condemnation, selfishness, etc might first seem justified in our minds. Instead of refusing those thoughts, if we dwell on them, they'll soon bring in more negative thoughts with them and finally build a 'nest' in our heart. An anxiety if not addressed leads to sleepless nights and unrest. Emotions of anger and rage if not dealt with, can lead to unrepairable circumstances.
The bible says... "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (Prov 4 : 23). "For out of the abundance (overflow) of the heart his mouth speaks" (Luke 6 : 45 Amplified). Watch your 'window'.
You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair. (Chinese Proverb)

5 comments:

  1. simplyyyyyy FANTASTIC.... it was a lil funny, very interesting n i just wanted to keep reading .. n THEN It ended but it surely left me blessed, yet again :) God Bless u ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) :)......Love the concept....:) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved it :)...keep it up!...really look forward to reading your blogs each week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bro!!! Its amazing how u can take such small incidents in life and compare it with wot God actually wants outta our lives! This is a gift!! Keep it going !

    ReplyDelete

Hey please take some time to post in your valuable views. I greatly appreciate your effort, Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...